Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Pray Without Ceasing

     I never really understood this verse, I still struggle with it somedays. How can anyone do anything without ceasing, nonstop, constantly? I like to sleep, but I couldn't do that nonstop, I love to snuggle with my handsome mechanic husband, but I couldn't even do that nonstop, so how can I pray without ceasing?
     I have almost grasped the concept though, almost, maybe, I think? I like to talk, and say whatever I am thinking, whenever I think it, whether it is a good time or not. I am quick to make assumptions, to judge, especially with my mechanic. I like to bring things up that have hurt me, over and over.
     I also like to be compassionate, to listen if you need someone to listen, to give advice if you ask for it. I like to care, and let you know that I am there for you. In all of these areas, the ones of needing to not talk, and the ones of needing to know what to say, prayer is my only answer.
     I think that is what Paul meant when he said to 'pray without ceasing'. Pray many times throughout the day, about every situation you find yourself in. No, I don't pray constantly, but I can quickly pray whenever I need to know what God wants me to do in a certain situation. And honestly, at the end of the day, as I am laying in bed, after saying prayers with my mechanic, I love those few moments of praying, of thanking God for His wonderful gifts to me, and of asking what I can do better.
     'Pray without ceasing', a lesson I am close to grasping.

2 comments:

A World of Loveliness said...

Beautiful post. Thanks for sharing.:)

Callie said...

I agree with what you said - I think prayign without ceasing means to make prayer so common in your life that it just becomes your first response to any situation. Also, recent experiences make me think that it means to never give up in praying for people or situations you care about, even when nothing seems to be coming of it.

Thanks for following my blog, I'm following you too now! Hoping to read more from you soon. :-)