Thursday, January 3, 2013

My Parenting Style

I am going to write today about my parenting style, so you can have a feel for who I am. I lean more towards Attachment Parenting, I do most of the 'attachment' thing. When I was pregnant, that is how I wanted it, but when Wilbur was born, I started listening to all those who said he needed to be on a schedule, he needed to be in his own bed, he needs to learn that he can't 'control' you with his crying.

I was miserable during those first few weeks, and I think some of it was because I was going against my instincts, I was going against how I felt as a mother, and it wasn't working for anyone. I finally started feeding him whenever he was hungry, I started letting him sleep in bed with me, I started doing everything that I felt was right. As soon as I started that, we both got happier, everything started falling right into place.

We are now very happy, he still sleeps in bed with us, even though many have said he needs to learn to sleep in his own bed. He will sleep on his own when he is ready, he won't sleep in bed with us until his wedding. I still rock him or nurse him to sleep for every nap and every time he might wake up at night. I wear him in my carrier occasionally, he isn't a huge fan of it, he wants to move around on his own, but when I need it, I use it. As soon as he starts crying, I pick him up, or take him back from whoever is holding him.

I love how I parent, but that doesn't mean I don't like someone else who parents differently, but I don't like people who parent differently who make it sound like I am going to ruin my child by parenting the way I do. Everyone does what works best for them, and that will probably be different than what I do for my child. 

No comments: