Tuesday, February 12, 2013

My Life: A Sacrifice?

Today, Wilbur and I read in Numbers for our daily Bible reading, and the chapter we were reading was one of those chapters. You know the ones, all the rules and regulations of when to make a sacrifice, with what animal, and for what. One of those chapters that I like to just read to say its read because my OCD mind won't let me skip it.
My mind was wandering while I was reading it, but Wilbur was listening, he was not even trying to play with the pages, he was just sitting, listening, so apparently he knew this chapter was important. God was telling Moses that the Isrealites needed to make a sacrifice every morning and every evening, and then extra sacrifices everyday for the first week of every month.
I thought to myself, 'wow, that's a lot of sacrifices, all they seem to do is sacrifice, that must get old after a while.' Then the wheels of my mind starting spinning, 'Christians are supposed to be a living sacrifice, so apparently what this verse is saying to modern day Christians, is that we are to offer ourselves to God everyday, multiple times a day, all the time. Whoa, apparently Numbers isn't all that outdated after all.'
What does it mean to be a living sacrifice? It means giving yourself to God, doing what He wants, not what you want. Living Him and His glory and not living for yourself. Does it sound hard? painful even? Well, not to be disgusting, but what was done to a lamb or a goat when it was sacrificed? It was killed with a knife, and then burned. To me that sounds just a bit painful, a bit not fun, a bit like I don't want to do this anymore.
You know what else it is? It is relief, it is worth it, sometimes, it is even easier. I don't have to know all the answers, I don't have to be right all the time, I don't have to be perfect, I just have to say Lord, I am yours, I am a sacrifice, do what you will with me. He makes all the decisions, I just have to follow.
Tomorrow I will have a post on what it looks like practically to be a sacrifice :)

1 comment:

Callie said...

Great point Clarissa, good post!